Tyson Fury and Oleksandr Usyk’s undisputed heavyweight clash at Wembley on April 29 is OFF, Ukrainian’s manager claims, with Gypsy King ‘pushing for commitments’
The undisputed heavyweight clash between Tyson Fury and Oleksandr Usyk scheduled for April 29 fell through, according to the Ukrainian’s manager.
“No matter how much Usyk committed, they pushed him for more,” said Egis Klimas, first reported by Steve Kim.
There has been a long war of words between the two camps, and while an April 29 date for a mammoth meeting at London’s Wembley Stadium has been discussed, nothing has been confirmed.
Last week, the Gypsy King insisted that the fight had definitely started and that he had gone into a social media blackout during training for the fight.
But the Ukrainian’s manager and adviser, Klimas, issued a firm take-it-or-leave-it statement to Fury’s team, and that if the fight doesn’t take place, Usyk will move on to a mandatory defense of his WBA title against Daniel Dubois. .
The clash between Tyson Fury (L) and Oleksandr Usyk (R) on April 29 has failed
The Fury and Usyk camps have been at odds throughout the negotiation process.
Klimas told SNAC: ‘If this fight is going to happen, only on April 29. Or it will simply be canceled and we will continue with the mandatory.
Fury and Usyk reached an agreement on a 70/30 purse split in favor of the Gypsy King, but no other material terms could be decided, according to ESPN.
The report claims that the 35-year-old Ukrainian stopped his training camp. WBA president Gilberto Mendoza previously set an April 1 deadline for the fight to take place, so the teams are running out of time to reach an agreement, if one can be reached.
Fans have been desperate to see the two heavyweights square off in what would be a huge unification fight.
Usyk holds the WBA, WBO and IBF heavyweight titles having recently defended them against Anthony Joshua and Fury is the WBC champion.
The WBA will likely order Usyk to fight Dubois if a solution cannot be found between the two sides in the near future.
It seemed that a fight between the couple was getting closer and closer to an announcement.
Fans on social media were enthusiastic about Frank Warren’s taunts: “Arsenal are eight points ahead and there’s even bigger news to come!”
Usyk’s team claimed Fury’s credibility was “shot to pieces” after the latest setback in talks.
Fury left fans frustrated by adding another hurdle to negotiations with Usyk recently.
Many interpreted his message as a clear sign that the Fury vs. Usyk deal was all but done.
But it looks like it was a false dawn and fight fans will have to wait longer or put up with Usyk facing a mandatory challenger in Dubois.
Usyk and Fury exchanged barbs online and exchanged video messages earlier in the process. The Ukrainian said: ‘They want 50%, Usyk and all that. Tyson is being greedy.
Fury replied: ‘From my point of view, Usyk, you and your team are worth 30. Take it or leave it. And if you don’t want it, go fight Daniel Dubois in the Copper Box. [Arena in London] and get a few million dollars.
‘If you want to make real money, come and fight ‘The Gypsy King’. … I will say, for every day from today that you delay, you entertain yourself, I am going to deduct 1% of 30%. …Sign the contract, get your money and shut up. … TIC Tac.’