The UK’s finest moments of the past century have been revealed in a list of events that have brought the country together since the 1920s.
In honor of its 100th anniversary, florist Interflora has put together a total of 39 moments.
It features emotional sporting triumphs such as England winning the 1966 Football World Cup, Billie Jean King conquering the tennis court in the ‘Battle of the Sexes’ in 1973 and Super Saturday at the 2012 London Olympics.
Moments of historic royal events are also on the list, including the wedding of Kate Middleton and Prince William in 2011, the Platinum Jubilee in 2022 and most recently the coronation of King Charles III.
There are also a number of technological and historical milestones, pop culture cornerstones and iconic British TV moments that have made their way.
The public is now invited to choose their favorite moment from a shortlist on the company’s social media page.
England captain Bobby Moore was lifted by his team that won the World Cup final by 4 goals to 2 against West Germany in 1966
Prince William and wife Kate Middleton wave to the crowd from the balcony of Buckingham Palace, London, after their wedding at Westminster Abbey in 2011
German border guards demolish part of the Berlin Wall to open a new border crossing between East and West Berlin in 1989
A scene from when Del Boy and Rodney, Britain’s favorite cycling dealers, finally made a big hit in the Christmas Day special of Only Fools and Horses
Dr. Juliet Wakefield, a psychology lecturer at the University of Nottingham, explains how remembering these moments can promote well-being.
She said: ‘Remembering moments like this collectively has the power to connect us with our families, friends, fellow Brits and people around the world.
“That sense of belonging is powerful: it helps us feel less lonely and more supported.
“It may even help us live longer and healthier lives by helping us cope better with stress.”
“I believe it benefits our mental and physical health because it allows us to better deal with everyday stress and tension.”
General view of the crowd during Live Aid at Wembley Stadium on July 13, 1985
Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs in the 1973 Battle of the Sexes
Retired British Army Captain Tom Moore walks to raise money for health workers by walking through his garden a hundred times before his 100th birthday in 2020
Servicemen join revelers who dance and sing in Fleet Street as they celebrate Victory in Europe Day (VE Day) to mark the end of the European conflict in World War II, in London on 8 May 1945
Interflora’s 39 most beautiful moments
1. Women gain the right to vote in the UK (1928)
2. Creation of the 1935 Penguin paperback book
3. The rediscovery of a lost species – the coelacanth – a fish thought to have been dead for 70 million years!
4. VE Day (1945)
5. Establishment of the National Health Service (1948)
6. The End of Tea Rationing (1952)
7. England wins the World Cup (1966)
8. First Person on the Moon (1969)
9. First Email Sent (1971)
10. Billie Jean King conquers the tennis court in the ‘Battle of the Sexes’ (1973)
11. Sir David Attenborough shows us the world – with the series with gorillas (1979)
12. The very first London Marathon (1981)
13. The Live Aid Concert: Live Aid was a charity concert in London and Philadelphia to raise money for famine relief in Africa. The concert featured some of the biggest names in music including Queen, U2 and David Bowie. (1985)
14. Princess Diana shakes hands with someone with AIDS (1987)
15. Kylie and Jason’s wedding in Neighbors (1987)
16. Fall of the Berlin Wall (1989)
17. The world’s first text message sent – which simply said “Merry Christmas.” (1992)
18. The Channel Tunnel Opens (1994)
19. Launch of the first online dating website Match (1995)
20. Del and Rodney Are Finally Millionaires (1996)
21. The Spice Girls’ tour Spiceworld sets records – highest-grossing tour ever for a female band – paves the way for Girl Power (1998)
22. Tim & Dawn finally get together in The Office Christmas special (2003)
23. Facebook was founded (2004)
24. Susan Boyle’s Britain’s Got Talent audition in (2009).
25. Barack Obama becomes the first African-American president of the United States (2009).
26. The wedding of Kate Middleton and Prince William (2011)
27. An Alien Landing on Mars and the Red Planet Selfie (2012)
28. Super Saturday at the 2012 London Olympics (2012)
29. Malala Youfaszai wins Nobel Prize for her campaign for girls’ education (2013)
30. The Ice Bucket Challenge Movement for ASL (2014)
31. The legalization of same-sex marriage (2014)
32. #NameOurShip and Boaty McBoatface (2016)
33. Professor Robert Kelly and young son James erupt as he spoke live on BBC News about South Korea – becoming a social media superstar (2017)
34. Captain Tom Moore Starts Walking (2020)
35. Tom Hardy Sends Us A Bedtime Story From Cbeebies (2021)
36. Lionesses win the European Championship (2022)
37. The Platinum Jubilee (2022)
38. Coronation of King Charles III (2023)
39. Eurovision Comes to Liverpool (2023)