Prince Harry reveals he killed 25 Taliban fighters on second tour of duty in Afghanistan and considered them ‘chess pieces taken off the board’
- Prince Harry describes conscription in Afghanistan in 2012 in telling memoir Spare
- Reveals that he killed 25 Taliban fighters and considered them “chess pieces.”
- Bombshell reveal detailed in his leaked autobiography due out Jan. 10
Prince Harry has reportedly revealed that he killed 25 Taliban fighters on his second tour in Afghanistan.
The Duke of Sussex, who was known in the army as “Captain Wales,” wrote that he did not see the dead “as human beings,” but “chess pieces” he had removed from the board.
He said it was “not a number that satisfies me, but doesn’t embarrass me either,” according to De Telegraaf.
This is the first time Harry, 38, has spoken about the number of Taliban fighters he personally killed during his time in Afghanistan, where he went in both 2007-8 and 2012.
Prince Harry pictured during his second tour of duty at Camp Bastion, Southern Afghanistan, in 2013
Prince Harry pictured in November 2012
Prince Harry envisioned performing early morning pre-flight checks in the cockpit, at Camp Bastion, southern Afghanistan
Harry sitting in an armored vehicle in Helmand province in February 2008
The Duke of Sussex pictured in Helmand province on his first tour of duty in 2008
The prince first deployed to Helmand province in 2007 as a forward air traffic controller, but his first tour of duty was cut short after foreign news organizations violated an agreed news strike.
Harry reportedly detailed the shocking revelation in his telling memoir Spare, which was leaked days before it was due to be published
After learning how to fly Apache helicopters, Harry was deployed to Camp Bastion in southern Afghanistan in 2012, where he spent 20 weeks.
During his 2012 tour, Harry helped provide helicopter support for the International Security Assistance Force and the Afghan Armed Forces operating throughout Helmand Province.
Based at Camp Bastion, the No. 662 Squadron Army Air Corps, to which he belonged, flew more than a hundred purposeful missions during 2,500 flying hours, providing close-range surveillance, deterrence and, if necessary, strike capabilities, as well as escort duties for other aircraft.
Captain Wales qualified as a second pilot in February 2012.
He was posted to 3 Regiment Army Air Corps, part of 16 Air Assault Brigade, to gain more flying experience and operate the Apache on a number of exercises before deploying to Afghanistan in September 2012.
He trained to fly in the front seat as a mission or aircraft commander, but most of the time he operated the Apache’s sights, sensors, and weapon systems.
The revelation could add to fears for his personal safety, as Prince Harry has long been considered a target for terrorists due to his royal status and military ties.
It comes amid an ongoing legal battle with the Home Office over not giving Harry and his family full police protection when visiting the UK.
The duke’s lawyer said he “doesn’t feel safe” while in the UK, having lost his taxpayer-funded security when he and his wife gave up royal duties.
He was previously considered a target for terrorists because of his two deployments to Afghanistan, and because he was a member of the royal family.
Harry’s revealing autobiography Spare was due to appear on January 10, but is already on sale in Spain.
This is a breaking news story, more to follow.