A Nebraska school district has agreed to pay $1 million to the family of an eighth grader who died after eating a granola bar given to him by a teacher.
The Papillion La Vista school board will vote Monday night on the wrongful settlement with the parents of 14-year-old Jagger Shaw.
Few details about what happened last May are contained in court documents because the settlement was reached through probate, not a civil suit.
Jagger’s parents, Tom and Jill Shaw, declined to comment on the Omaha World Herald about the settlement, but his father said in a Facebook post that Jagger’s teacher at Liberty Middle School offered him a granola bar after he asked to go to the office for a snack.
“I gave him a hug and a kiss and told him to be good and have a good day like every time I dropped him off,” he wrote.
Jagger Shaw, 14, suddenly fell ill and had an allergic reaction after being given a snack by a teacher at Liberty Middle School in Nebraska
Jagger was taken to a local hospital, where he later died after suffering an allergic reaction
He wrote how his son had asked to go to the school office to get a snack, but a teacher offered him one of her granola bars instead.
“Jagger took it, was halfway through dinner and felt like he was starting to have an allergic reaction and went to the nurse’s office,” his father said.
“They gave him Benadryl and waited to see if that worked,” Shaw said.
He wrote that his son tried to throw up the food, but “came back from the bathroom flushed.” At that point, “the nurse gave him the EpiPen and called an ambulance.”
He did not describe Jagger’s allergy in the post, nor did he say whether the school was aware of that allergy.
Jagger was taken by ambulance to a local hospital, but the anaphylactic shock became critical
Jagger’s father, Tom Shaw, is pictured next to his fiancée
Jagger Shaw, left, is seen with his twin brother Jayce and mother Jill Shaw
Nebraska mother Jill Shaw is pictured next to her son, Jagger, who died of an allergic reaction after eating a granola bar at school
Jagger was taken by ambulance to a local hospital, but the anaphylactic shock became critical.
Shaw’s described how his son’s heart had to restart and his brain began to swell.
He was taken to the Children’s Hospital & Medical Center in Omaha, where he was put on a ventilator, but his condition worsened.
Dad, Tom Shaw, posted details of the events leading up to his son’s death online
Jagger attended Liberty Middle School in Papillion, Nebraska. The school district’s liability insurer will pay the million dollar settlement
Troy Juracek is the principal of Liberty Middle School
His father wrote how oxygen deprivation and swelling had severely damaged his son’s brain. Doctors told the family that scans showed Jagger had negligible brain activity and there was no chance of recovery.
Jagger died on May 7, 2022, surrounded by his family. “I hope somehow he knew we were with him,” Tom wrote.
The school district’s liability insurer pays for the settlement.
Our thoughts are with the Shaw family. It’s such a tragic situation. Our hearts break for them,” said Annette Eyman, a spokeswoman for the district.
The Shaw family’s lawyer did not respond to a telephone message requesting details of the settlement.