Meghan Markle chose to skip a prestigious ‘women in media’ awards show last night – despite being honored for her Archetypes podcast – just a week after she and Prince Harry sparked global controversy with claims they were involved in an ‘almost catastrophic pursuit.
The 41-year-old Duchess of Sussex – who flew to New York last week to personally receive a ‘Women of Vision’ award – chose not to show up at the Gracie Awards in Los Angeles on Tuesday evening, despite releasing a statement expressing her ‘honour’ to be chosen as this year’s winner for Best Entertainment Podcast Host.
“Thank you to the Alliance for Women in Media Foundation for this prestigious honor,” Meghan said in a statement released in March after her win was announced.
“This is a shared success for me and the team behind Archetypes – most of whom are women – and the inspiring guests who join me every week.”
Meghan Markle chose to skip a ‘women in media’ awards show in LA last night — despite her Archetypes podcast being honored — a week after appearing at a similar event in New York
The 41-year-old Duchess of Sussex chose not to perform at the Gracie Awards, where she won Best Entertainment Podcast Host, a week after she and Prince Harry were embroiled in a controversy over claims they were involved in an ‘almost catastrophic’. car chase
It was unclear if Meghan had ever planned to attend the awards gala and an event insider told DailyMail.com that the organizers weren’t sure if she would show up even hours before the event was due to start.
‘[Organizers] have no information on whether she is making a last minute show or not, or even [appearing via] video,” the source said Tuesday.
The Gracie Awards Gala — which took place at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel, about a 90-minute drive from the $14.65 million Montecito mansion she shares with Prince Harry — is held annually to recognize “outstanding individual achievement and programming by, for and about women at the national level,” the website reads.
It’s not known why Meghan chose not to attend the Gracie Awards – however, the event came just one week after she and Prince Harry flew to New York for a similar gala, where the Duchess of Sussex presented a ‘women of vision’ prize received in person.
At that event, Meghan took the stage to give a speech, walking to the stage to the tune of Alicia Keys’ hit Girl on Fire, before telling a story about enjoying TV dinners and episodes of Jeopardy! when she was a schoolgirl.
However, the evening took a turn for the worse after the event ended – when Harry and Meghan, who were accompanied by her mother Doria Ragland, claimed they were involved in what their spokesperson called a “near catastrophic” chase involving paparazzi.
An official statement issued on behalf of the couple the day after the event claimed that the mother of the Sussex family and Meghan had been the victims of a “relentless chase lasting over two hours.”
“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Mrs Ragland were involved in a near catastrophic car chase at the hands of a gang of very aggressive paparazzi,” the statement said.
Held annually, the Gracie Awards celebrate “outstanding individual achievement and programming by, for and about women on a national level” (award winners seen on stage)
This year’s ceremony was attended by several celebrities, including Bachelor star Rachel Lindsay (left) and Real Housewives’ Heather Dubrow (right)
This relentless pursuit, which lasted more than two hours, resulted in multiple near misses involving other drivers on the road, pedestrians and two NYPD officers.
“While being a public figure comes with a degree of public interest, it should never come at the expense of one’s safety.”
However, the couple’s claims were questioned, with several conflicting reports emerging as to what actually happened.
According to USA weeklythe couple were ‘appalled’ by the reaction to their statement, with a source claiming the pair ‘maintain their account of the chase was by no means exaggerated’, adding that the Sussexes believe it is ‘so hurtful and inappropriate. for people to say otherwise’.
Interestingly enough – while Meghan was not present at the Gracie Awards – the insider went on to state that the pair will not “stay out of sight” and are not “afraid to show their faces” at future public events.
‘[This has] just reinforced their determination to stand up for themselves and speak out when they feel wronged,” the outlet continued.
The ceremony took place exactly one week after Meghan and Harry flew to New York to attend the Women of Vision Awards – after which they said they were victims of a car chase.
The couple’s statement about the chase came under scrutiny last week – with multiple officials speaking out to question their recollection of the event.
New York deputy commissioner of public information Julian Phillips revealed that the NYPD had “assisted” the pair’s private security team — while stating that the behavior of the “numerous” photographers was “challenging,” he noted that it couple “arrived at their destination and there were no reports of any collisions, subpoenas, injuries or arrests related to.”
New York City Mayor Eric Adams expressed his empathy, describing the paparazzi’s actions as “reckless” and “irresponsible,” but added that he would find it “hard to believe” that a “two-hour chase at high speed’.
New York police officials also told NBC they didn’t believe the case was “near catastrophic,” but “a little chaotic.”
ABC also reported that it spoke to several police sources who acknowledged the experience may have been “scary” for those involved, but said the media presence was “not the kind of caravan described by sources close to Harry and Meghan.”
Others wondered why the pair and their security team chose to take an hour and fifteen minute “cat-and-mouse” ride across Manhattan, apparently stopping at least twice at a police station and a random New York cabbie. persisted. to take them home.