Guy Sebastian has been labeled ‘not a nice guy’ by his elderly neighbor after a decade-long street battle erupted and brought them both to court.
Phillip Hanslow – who now lives in a semi-neglected home – is facing charges of stalking and property damage after years of rising tensions came to a head on Monday.
The former builder is said to have confronted Sebastian, made death threats against the multimillionaire singer and was accused of kicking down his fence.
Guy Sebastian has been labeled ‘not a nice guy’ by elderly neighbor Phillip Hanslow (pictured) after a decade-long street fight erupted and they both ended up in court
The bitter feud began in 2013 when husband Sebastian, 41, and his wife Jules Egan, 43, bought a property in Maroubra in Sydney’s eastern suburbs and demolished it to build a new one.
Police have now issued an arrest warrant for Mr Hanslow on Sebastian’s behalf, prohibiting him from contacting the singer or entering his property.
On Wednesday, 66-year-old Hanslow told Daily Mail Australia the singer was “not a nice guy” but added: “I’m seeking legal advice – that’s all I can say at the moment.”
The bitter feud began in 2013 when Sebastian, 41, and his wife Jules Egan, 43, bought a house in Maroubra in Sydney’s eastern suburbs for $3.1 million.
But when they demolish it to build their sprawling new dream home, it sparks the epic feud between the Sebastians and Mr. Hanslow.
Guy Sebastian and his wife Jules Egan built a ‘fortress-like’ dream home on the site, set against the edge of Mr Hanslow’s property
Phillip Hanslow and wife Carole have since moved out of their home in Maroubra (show right of Guy Sebastian’s imposing estate)
Mr Hanslow claimed debris from the demolition damaged his home when a ‘brick missile’ slammed into an outside wall, narrowly missing his living room window and his terminally ill wife Carole, who was watching TV inside.
And he thought the final design of Sebastian’s new house was an ugly fortress because of the imposing and windowless facade, which reached to the edge of his house.
Mr. Hanslow has now been evicted from the house, which he still owns, and now lives in a dilapidated, dilapidated property in Carlton with his ailing wife and their pet, Boo Boo.
But the former builder, who was forced to retire with fibromyalgia, still returns to his home in Maroubra to work on renovations.
It is clear that he would have confronted Sebastian on Monday when he was accused of making death threats and damaging the fence.
Phillip Hanslow – who now lives in a semi-derelict house in Carlton (pictured) – is facing charges of stalking and property damage after years of rising tensions erupted Monday
Another resident witnessed the alleged incident and called the police who charged Mr Hanslow with stalking with intent to cause bodily harm and damage to property.
He will appear before Waverley Local Court on February 2.
Locals on the posh street say Mr. Hanslow is a well-known character on the street.
Two construction workers who worked on the house next door to Mr Hanslow’s told Daily Mail Australia they had had a fight with him before
Mr Hanslow vowed to move out five years ago after saying two years of demolition and construction on the Sebastians’ home wreaked havoc.
He claimed his driveway was regularly blocked and construction work continued well into the night.
SafeWork NSW was called in to investigate the damage to its home and confirmed that a brick had fallen from a truck removing demolition waste, directing the company to load elsewhere.
“It was dangerous, if it had been that much lower it would have gone right through[the window],” Hanslow told Daily Mail Australia in 2017.
Sebastian’s neighbors (pictured at home on the right) claimed the two-year construction process had taken a significant toll on their health
Phillip Hanslow claimed debris from the demolition damaged his home, narrowly missing his living room window and his terminally ill wife sitting inside watching TV
“My wife was watching television right in that window.”
He said his wife was shaking when he returned that day and that in 2017 he had tried to talk to Sebastian directly to resolve issues, but discussions broke down.
“He has a lot of money and we are only small people,” he said at the time. “He’s not building a house, he’s building a fortress.”
The neighbor has labeled the final design of Sebastian’s new house as an ugly fortress because of the large, imposing windowless facade, which extends to the edge of his house.
Sebastian hit back at his neighbor in 2018, claiming Mr Hanslow’s dog bit him when he tried to discuss the issues.
“I have one of those neighbors… he’s kind of mean to everyone,” Sebastian told a radio show.
“He’s one of those guys on the street who sits at the door and squints at everyone.
Sebastian and his wife later separately left home in matching $142,000 Toyota Prado Landcruisers, loaned to the couple in a brand deal
“As I touch him, his dog comes up to me and bites me — twice. And I still kept the peace and said, “It’s all right.” And my leg is bleeding…”
On Wednesday, Sebastian did not comment on the latest developments.
A man’s voice answers the intercom at his home told Daily Mail Australia it was a “private” matter and ‘already reported’.
Sebastian and his wife later separately left the house in matching $142,000 Toyota Prado Landcruisers, loaned to the couple in a brand deal.