British tourist is rushed to hospital after being bitten by venomous snake
- British tourist bitten by snake while holidaying on Fraser Island
- Ben and partner rented a car to explore the island before the incident
- Social media users slammed him for not being more careful
A British tourist has been labeled careless after being bitten by a venomous snake while walking barefoot through tall grass.
Ben and his partner were vacationing on Fraser Island, Queensland, and rented a car to go off-roading.
He revealed that the holiday had started well before it turned into a life-threatening nightmare after the first night.
A British tourist has been labeled careless after being bitten by a snake while walking barefoot through tall grass
‘Right, so I just got bitten by a venomous snake in Australia. Quick story time for you,” he said in a TikTok video.
The couple were traveling along a beach in their pink 4WD when they decided to camp along the shore for the night.
“We managed to share camp with a few dingoes and a few crabs,” Ben said.
The pair woke up early the next morning to watch the sunrise as Ben used his drone to capture images of the surrounding landscape.
He crashed the remote-controlled device into a tree growing on top of a sand dune that was covered in long grass.
“I had to walk back down this patch of grass and I stepped on something dark and I felt something against my ankle,” he said.
Ben held his right foot to the camera and revealed two stab wounds to his ankle, believed to be from a brown snake.
“I got back to the truck, saw the fangs, and then it hit me what had happened. We had no signal,” he said.
He bandaged his leg and was rushed across the beach by a passing tourist when he finally got a call.
Moments later, a helicopter can be seen diving in and picking up the injured tourist.
Ben and his partner were vacationing on Fraser Island, Queensland, and rented a car to go off-roading
“Not too bad, I got a free helicopter ride over Fraser Island,” Ben said.
Ben is then seen lying in a hospital bed hooked up to surveillance machines, with the recovering expat still appearing to be in good spirits.
“Currently waiting for blood work and yes welcome to bloody Australia,” he said.
Social media users called out the tourist for walking through the long grass.
“From an Aussie: don’t walk in the bushes,” one wrote.
“Bare feet in the city, boots in the undergrowth,” added another.
This could easily have been prevented.
Others disagreed with the part of the video where Ben bandaged his injured ankle and then lifted it into the car while being driven by the Good Samaritan.
“If you’re bitten, your buddy never lift your leg, the venom can spill all over the shop,” a third social media user wrote.